Herd Facts and Management
Quick Facts about the Herd and the Farm
* Genetics from Flying Bird, Grasshill, Trilyte, Wey South, Givernay, and Shallow Creek.
* Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis(CAE) negative, Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL) free, and Johnes negative.
* Goats are blood tested annually
* Kids raised on a CAE prevention program
* Vaccination protocol for the herd: Tasvax 8 at 1 month of age, with booster 6 weeks later
* Pregnant does are given Selenium and Vitamin A&D a month prior to kidding.
* Goats are milked twice a day, in a double 18 rapid exit parlor. As part of herd health management the farm completes its own milk test with milk meters once a month.
* Herd average is over 3 Litres per day, highest milker “Shallow Creek Pizzaz” has peaked at 8.4L/day on several lactations
* All fluid milk is shipped to Happy Days Goat Dairy
* Breeding program, all 2nd lactation and older does are hand bred
*Herd data management program used on the farm is EASY Keeper
* Herd’s diet: free choice alfalfa/grass hay, an 18% alfalfa pellet is fed in the parlor with an automatic feeding system, minerals are fed free choice including: brewer’s yeast, cobalt salt, and sodium bicarbonate.
* Daily turn out for all does
* Kids are fed free choice acidified milk powder “Kid-O” from Star-Gro
* The majority of breeding stock is sold in Western Canada, but occasionally we ship goats to Eastern Canada